- 34 strings, 4¾ octaves
- Light-tension strings & closer string spacing
- Strong and lightweight carbon fiber pillar
- Laminated birch soundbox
- Full set of Loveland sharping levers
- Two extendable legs included
- Deluxe case included
With light tension, close string spacing, and a big, responsive sound, the Serrana is catching the fancy of players across a variety of genres who want a harp that is easy on the hands and very satisfying to play, not to mention under 20 pounds! While it's proving to have a wider appeal than we initially expected, we're also excited about its original purpose as a much-needed resource for school mariachi programs.
These programs are known to be valuable educational, musical, and cultural experiences for the students involved. Harp has traditionally been an important part of the mariachi ensemble, but we've heard over and over again how difficult it is for music educators to find harps that meet all their needs. Traditional look, feel, and sound are important, and so are durability, sharping levers, and tuning stability. Add to that the limits of a school budget, and it becomes quite a challenge for a school program to incorporate harp.
After learning about the power of these programs, we were inspired to create a model that speaks to this need. We combined time-tested elements of the Ravenna 34 with a new neck, a carbon fiber pillar, and a string set with the lighter tension and closer spacing of the mariachi style. The result is a big, open voice on a very portable, sturdy, and affordable harp that can handle the everyday bumps and bruises of the school environment.
The Serrana 34 comes with a full set of Loveland levers, a deluxe padded case, and two extendable legs for easy adjustability between sitting and standing. Designed to be carried by the carbon fiber pillar and laid on its back while the legs are deployed, the harp has protective scuff pads on all the contact points.
With the optional professional-level Dusty Harp Pickup, the Serrana has a huge amplified sound and a lot of versatility. The pickup can be installed by us when the harp is ordered, or purchased later as an add-on kit. It's the ideal setup for being heard in an ensemble.
There is also the option to add a four-legged stand with 5-inch, 8-inch, or 12-inch legs.
Price: $2895 Includes full set of Loveland sharping levers, two extendable legs, deluxe CD34 case, and T-handle tuning wrench
Please note that your harp will not look exactly like the photos you see here. Because wood is a natural material, and the color and grain vary from tree to tree, each harp we build is unique.
The Dusty Harp Pickup installed
Stand with four legs
- 34 strings
- 4¾ octaves
- Low: C two octaves below middle C
- High: A 2¾ octaves above middle C
- Treble and upper mid-range: nylon monofilament
- Lower mid-range: nylon core with nylon wrap
- Bass: nylon core with wire wrap
- Full set of Loveland levers
- Soundboard: laminated Finland birch with clear finish
- Soundbox: laminated Finland birch with burgundy-lacquered ash-grained vinyl veneer
- Neck: laminated Finland birch with burgundy lacquer
- Pillar: carbon fiber
- Harp: 19½ pounds including legs
- Case adds approximately 7½ pounds
- Optional stand adds approximately 3 pounds
- Height at back of harp: 43 inches
- Height at front of harp: 49 inches
- Legs add up to 17 inches
- Maximum soundbox width: 13 inches
- Widest part of harp (front to back): 26 inches
- Base (front to back): 9.5 inches
- Base (side to side): 15 inches
Reviews & Testimonials
There are no ratings yet.
"There’s lots to love about the Serrana. Most of the lovely things are apparent – small size, good pickup, built in legs, and of course, Dusty strings reliability, quality, and, this important detail… affordable! The Serrana is my new love. Extra light string tension makes playing jigs and reels fun. Narrower string spacing hasn’t been much of an issue, except I have to watch my hands for now, until I get more used to it. The Serrana really comes alive when I plug it in.”
–Margot Krimmel (Boulder, CO)