The Dusty Duo-Tune
Tuning a harp typically requires an electronic tuner, a clip-on tuner pickup and a tuning wrench, as well as a certain amount of coordination. We do a lot of harp tuning at Dusty Strings and this awkward process was begging for an improvement. We've now combined our harp tuning wrench with the Snark clip-on electronic tuner to make a single handy tuning device, the Dusty Duo-Tune. Now you can pluck a string with one completely free hand while the tuning wrench and electronic tuner are in your other hand picking up the vibrations through the tuning pin, displaying the note on the attached LCD screen, and allowing you to adjust the pin - all at once. No more juggling tuners, wires, clips and wrenches and wishing you had three hands!
- The same elegant and ergonomic hardwood handle as our Custom Wrench
- Colored LCD display is readable in the dark
- Swivel joint allows you to turn on and adjust the angle of the display with your thumb while tuning
- Star-tipped wrench (except for Universal model) seats itself on the pin with less fussiness than a square-tipped wrench requires
- No need for a clip-on tuner pickup. The string's vibrations travel directly through the tuning pin to the Duo-Tune, which means that it picks up notes accurately up and down the whole range of the harp without interference from other room noises.
- Snark tuner has a nifty built-in visual metronome feature as well as pitch calibration and auto shut-off after two minutes
- Battery is included, as well as a spare (3-volt #CR-2032)
Note: The Snark tuner carries a one-year warranty against defects in manufacturing. Should anything happen to yours outside of the warranty, it is possible to replace just the tuner head without buying a whole new Duo-Tune wrench.
There are three models of the Dusty Duo-Tune to fit different sizes of harp tuning pins. The size that each wrench fits is engraved on the handle, but we realize most people don't have calipers readily available to measure their tuning pins. So here is a list (to the best of our knowledge) of harp makers and the size of wrench we expect will fit their harps. Unfortunately, we can't make any guarantees, and current harps may not necessarily have the same tuning pins as older harps by the same maker. We do our best to add to this list as we get more information about pin sizes.
Note: These wrenches are meant for standard harp pins, which go all the way through the neck of the harp and stick out on both sides. Some harps (Harpsicles, for example) use zither pins instead, which only stick out on one side of the neck. Because these pins are a different shape, Dusty Strings harp wrenches will not fit well and will eventually chew up the pins. However, our hammered dulcimer tuning wrenches will work!
Custom Duo-Tune (For tuning pins with a square tip diameter of .176" or 4.5mm)
- Dusty Strings
Concert Duo-Tune (For tuning pins with a square tip diameter of 3/16" or .188" or 5mm)
- Argent Fox
- Harps of Lorien
- Lyon & Healy
- Lewis Creek
- Lynn Lewandowski
- Marini Made
- R Harps
- Stanley & Stanley
- Stoney End
Universal Duo-Tune (Adjusts to fit harp tuning pins from .160" or 4mm to .220" or 5.6mm. Does not work well on zither-type harp pins; see note above.)
- Rees (but not Harpsicle)
CynthiaApr 6, 2018I purchased the Concert Duo Tune just after they came on the market. I read about them in the Folk Harp Journal. I've been so pleased with this tuner! It's very easy to use. I use it with my two Lyon and Healy harps. I highly recommend this tuner - I'm sure you'll love it!
FrancesApr 6, 2018When the attachment part of the tuner split and would not stay on the metal peg attached to the tuning key, Dusty replace the tuner head free. They stand by their products 100%.